Last week, Box announced an update to its preview feature which is expected to be rolled out to users over the course of the next few weeks. Here we explain what changes you can expect from this update.
What is Box’s preview feature?
The preview feature allows users to quickly and easily view files without opening them in edit mode, or downloading them to a computer. Currently more than 120 file types can be opened in preview mode.
More streamlined user interface
The user interface has been redesigned to make activities easier. The idea is to help users navigate tasks and collaborate more easily without leaving preview mode:
- The header toolbar now includes only the most commonly used actions – Edit, Share and Download. Secondary actions such as Lock, Upload New Version and Favourite can be found in the overflow menu.
- The Move, Copy and Delete options have been removed from the preview screen but are still available in the main files page.
- The sidebar has been revamped to include a timeline of the latest activity (version history, comments, tasks) making it even easier to track collaborators’ comments, previous versions, and assigned tasks at a glance.
- There is also an information tab containing a description of the file and its metadata.
- A smarter action bar (the bar that appears when you hover over the preview) now includes more content-type specific actions. For example, when a video is opened it includes the option to play / pause and adjust the volume.
- Navigating between files within the parent folder is now available upon hover over, rather than from the top header bar.
Preview more file types
Box Enterprise users will now be able to preview 3D images (.obj and .stl) and medical images like X-rays (DICOM). Box is also extending video preview of fifteen file types to all enterprise users.
Quicker loading time
The new preview experience is built on a faster infrastructure which speeds up page load times. For instance, a file under 100KB will now load twice as fast.
Box is an innovative cloud file sharing solution that eliminates the need for on-premise file storage systems. We offer this product as part of our integrated cloud-based IT solution because it works seamlessly with NetSuite.
If you would like any information, please get in touch, we’d be happy to help!