We’re continuing to write a series of guides for our NetSuite customers, providing them with hints and tips all designed to make their lives easier with regards to the use of NetSuite. This month’s guide is all about setting up email alerts.
For many companies, keeping up to date with the latest business information can prove challenging as it constantly changes and updates. Working off outdated facts can have serious negative consequences and cause you to make the wrong decisions – that’s why it’s so important to always have the latest info at your fingertips.
NetSuite can help greatly with this through its comprehensive reporting features and clear, easy-to-understand dashboards. But this still relies on you remembering to log in and check the details on a regular basis. And in a busy environment, this might not always be possible.
Fortunately, even if you’re not able to check into your dashboard at any given moment, you can still get up-to-date info on any key changes in your business via NetSuite’s email alerts, which can give you a useful overview into all your most important metrics.
What type of alerts can I get?
There are two different sorts of email alerts that users of NetSuite can opt to receive. The first of these is a ‘Daily Facts‘ alert, which contains a summary of the latest information in the Events, Reminders, Key Performance Indicators, and standard Report Snapshots portlets on your Home page.
Please note: These messages do not include data from custom and sales management report snapshots, or any portlets that are minimised and not visible on your dashboard.
You can set these up to be sent automatically up to three times a day at pre-determined times, or alternatively, you can email [email protected] from the email address you use to log in and NetSuite will automatically send you an up-to-date email alert.
The second type of alert is linked to your saved searches, with users able to get instant alerts when one or more of their most important searches changes – vital if decision-making is dependent on several key criteria.
Setting up daily alerts
You can find the tools to set up email alerts on your NetSuite Home tab:
- Hover over the home tab and click “Set Preferences” or alternatively you can access this in your settings portlet. (If you don’t see this portlet, click “Personalise Dashboard” in the top right, and ensure that settings is ticked.)
- Here you will find an “Alerts” subtab, which will bring up the setup page for receiving emails.
- The first thing to do is select the time(s) of day you receive the alerts – choose up to three. This is handy if there is a certain time when changes are often made.
- In order for you to be able to click links in your alerts to immediately open your account to relevant information, you will need to make sure the “Include links in HTML alerts” box is ticked.
- And ticking the “Send an On-Demand Alert from the Role” box will enable you to send emails to [email protected] and automatically receive your email alerts at any time.
Setting up saved search alerts
- Select the record type that search is based on
- Choose the name of the saved search in the “Search” field.
Please note: Only searches that have the “Available for alert” box checked will appear in this field, and administrator privileges are required to make this selection.
- Tick the “Send on Update” box to receive alerts both when new records are added and when current records are updated
- Then click Add. You can repeat this process to add email alerts for up to five saved searches.
If you would like to find out more about customising NetSuite to the needs of your business, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team of experts.
Feel free to share this guide with your colleagues or comment below.
January – “NetSuite tips – Making search easier”
February – “NetSuite tips – Navigating through the application”
April – “NetSuite tips – creating custom KPIs“
August – “NetSuite tips – setting up reminders“